Thursday, May 10, 2007

learning moments

Today was the second day of language school and I can't help but feel there is so much to learn. A language is such a vast goal to attain! Taking a deep breath, stepping back, and looking at the big picture, I realize it is only one star in the grand nightsky view of this journey I'm on. There are many things to learn and conquer, there always will be. I think one of the ironies of life is that the more you learn, the more you realize how much there is to know, and that you will never be able to learn it all. I'm learning to glean what I can and not worry about the rest. The teachers at the Institute are gracious and truly desire their students to understand and speak the language. I am grateful for their kindness and patience.
Having the opportunity to live with a Tico family is helping me immensely to learn more about the latino culture, language, and amazing food! Whoever said you lose weight overseas did not know my Tico mom! The youngest son in the family, Jean Pierro, is 8 years old, and is loads of fun. So far we have played cards, Gran Banco(Costa Rican form of Monopoly), and with pistolas de agua. Ocassionally his 8 and 6 year old nieces and 2 year old nephew (this is not a type-o) come over and we all play together. It's amazing how much fun you can have with people and have no clue what one another is saying! Diago, the uncle, is so cute running from room to room declaring "Hola!" to everyone in sight. My bond with him might be strongest since we share the same vocab range. Truly, there is much to be learned from children, their sincerity, and love.

3 comments:

Jimmy said...

Hey, sorry we didn't really get to talk today. I am glad things are going well there. Language can have it's frustrating moments and days that you just feel like you cna't comunicate for anything, but there are also the days you figure out how to simply ask someone where the nearest metro is or somthing. It's all about the small victories, this I am learning. I would prefer the big victories and be able to communicate tomorrow, but language is what keeps us humble. I hope you are getting to meet people and share in their lives, as I am finding this is the best part of my day, even when we can't communicate well, we always find a way. Anyways, I'm praying for your time there, as well as when you will continue your journey to your final destination.

Unknown said...

im not going to say this again...i need sharon time.

The Minstrel said...

I love kids as well. Don't worry bout the language though my friend. Just realize you will make mistakes along the way and learn to laugh at them. I can tell you some funny stories about language mistakes...lol. I'm glad you're doing well Sharon.