Sunday, May 20, 2007

feria and fiesta time

Today was full of first time experiences. It started early this morning when I accompanied my tico mom and her youngest son to the local feria. The feria is a huge trade-day-like-event. The atmosphere is filled with a large number of people busily picking over fruits and vegetables as the vendors yell out prices. I got to see, experience, and learn the names of tropical fruits I've never heard of before. I also got to drink coconut juice out of a fresh coconut! The man actually cut it open, stuck a straw in and handed it to me. I thought it was pretty cool.
Later this afternoon, I got to attend a fiesta de cumpleano, which I was really excited about. You must know this is my first real fiesta. It was the birthday of the younest son's best friend. So...we arrived at the party around 2:30 and we didn't get back home until close to 7! When we got there a clown was leading games and tricks with the kids. Then he moved to painting faces. About this time it's 4ish and the guest are served the traditional arroz con pollo, chicken and rice. Next, we bring out the pinata. After scrambling around on the floor for candy it's time for ice cream. We all enjoy the ice cream. Then the birthday boy opens presents. It was a big party so there are a lot of gifts...finally we cut the cake. After enjoying the cake and saying goodbye to everyone in the room we leave. I really did have a good time even though I had no idea what the topic of conversation was at my time the entire evening. Despite my confussed state of mind, I am thankful to have had some quality time enjoying life with my Tico family. When all's said and done the Costa Rican people know how to shop cheap and party hard! Well, at least the Costa Rican's I know.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I've had my fair share of arroz con pollo here too...is it possible to be sick of something after only two weeks?! What an eventful day....keep the posts coming!

The Minstrel said...

It's good to hear you are having an enjoyable time. What will be awesome is when they are talking, you actually can participate in the conversation and make them laugh. Like Matt says, keep them coming Sharon...

Matthew said...

It is great that you have a very warm and caring tico family to care for you during this time of transition. It is also really cool that you have been able to experience some of their usual habits at the market and the b-day party. I will continue to talk to Father for your language skills and for whatever else you need!

:Jason: said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh